Most people are unaware of the “click-to-run” service offered by Microsoft to its users. And, those who know what it is and still wish to get rid of this service because of several reasons. However, they do not know the correct method to uninstall the ‘Microsoft Office click to run’ service. So, if you also belong to the category of those people, then this article is for you.
Thus, before we begin to walk through the method of disabling this service, we shall try to know what is and do you need it or not. Well, this service could hardly impact a user’s work, but still, you should know about it.
What is Microsoft Office Click to Run and do I need it?
In simpler terms, we can say that this service lets you install Office more quickly as compared to the time taken by the actual installation process. This service uses streaming and virtualization technology to ensure that the installation of Office products does not take long. You will only need to use the Click-to-Run feature of Microsoft in case you are running short of time and cannot wait for enough for the whole process to complete. Users do not need to download Microsoft Office click to run SxS as it gets on your device when you install Office from its only official site i.e. www.office.com/setup.
Steps to uninstall Microsoft Office click-to-run installer
If you are constantly seeing a message telling you of the Microsoft Office click to run high disk usage Windows 10, then you must immediately get rid of it using the following steps:
Method 1- Disable from the Services page
- First, press the Windows + R keys to launch the ‘Run’ application.
- Then, type services.msc and hit the ‘OK’ button.
- Locate ‘Microsoft Office Click-to-Run’ service.
- Right-click on it and select ‘Properties’.
- Go to the ‘Startup type’ from the ‘General Tab’.
- Scroll down to the drop-down and select ‘Disable’.
- Select ‘OK’ on the pop-up.
- Restart your system to save the changes.
Method 2- From the Control Panel
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Go to the ‘Programs and Features’ section.
- Select ‘Uninstall or change a program’.
- From the list that appears, select ‘Microsoft Office Click-to-Run’.
- Then, click on the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Select ‘YES’ on the next prompt to end it.
Also, there are some third-party uninstallers that will let you get rid of this Microsoft service in case you are having a problem while uninstalling it. However, Microsoft does not recommend this to its users as it helps in the quick installation of the products and updates.
Frequently asked questions
How to turn off Microsoft office click to run service?
To turn off the click-to-run service of Microsoft Office, you need to open the ‘Run’ utility by pressing the Windows + R keys on your keyboard. In it, type ‘Services’ and find out the said service. After you do so, right-click on it, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Disable’ to turn it off. This shall be followed by tapping ‘OK’ and restarting the device.
Is it OK to uninstall or disable Microsoft Office Click to Run?
The Microsoft Office click-to-run service serves as an essential component of the Microsoft Office suite as it helps you with downloading the latest updates of Office on your device without going through a complex process. Thus, Microsoft does not recommend its users to take this action.
How do I fix Microsoft Office Click to Run?
If you click to run service is crashing several times, then you need to repair it using the process mentioned here:
- Head to the Control Panel from the ‘Start’ screen.
- Go to the ‘Programs’ section.
- Select ‘Uninstall a program’.
- Here, choose your version of Microsoft Office.
- Tap on the ‘Change’ button.
- Then, select ‘QuickRepair’ or ‘Repair’.
- This process won’t complete until you restart your system.