When you connect an external device to your computers such as a printer or a scanner and you need to send an email via it, at that time, you need to set up an SMTP. This is a short term for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. You can easily set up Office 365 SMTP by following the instructions given in this article after which you will be able to send mails. This is done in case your mailboxes are completely related to Office 365. There are some other options as well with which you can do so; client SMTP submission and Direct Send. But, here in this article, we are going to learn about office 365 SMTP relay settings.
What is SMTP Relay?
Using it, one can easily send emails from his organization and for this purpose the authentication of the IP address or certificate is necessary. Users can do this with any email address but there should be a domain that is linked to your Office 365.
Steps to configure an Office 365 SMTP relay connector
- Initially, you need to get your hands on the public IP address that you are currently using on your device. (Note: a dynamic IP address isn’t supported)
- After this, make note of this IP address as we will need it later.
- Now, you need to log in to your Office 365 portal.
- Next, select the ‘Domains’ option and highlight one of your domains.
- Further, using the wizard, you need to get the MX record and make a note of it too.
- Make sure that the domains of the application as well as the device are verified.
- Then, go to the ‘Exchange Admin Console’. You need to do this to create the SMTP connector.
- Move to the upper-right section and select ‘Admin’.
- After this, select ‘Exchange’ present in the drop-down menu.
- On the Exchange Admin Center window, you need to select ‘Mail Flow’.
- Then, select ‘Connectors’ and then select the type of the connector.
- Add one asterisk (*) symbol under the ‘Domains’ section.
- Enter the IP address that you noted down earlier.
- Do not change any settings in the other fields and finally select ‘Save’.
With these settings applied successfully, you will be able to send mails from any domain. For more information on this, you can always head to the office.com/setup website.
What is the SMTP server for Office 365?
The name of the SMTP server for Office 365 is SMTP.office365.com for all the outgoing mails. While the port number for the same is 587 and the encryption method it uses is TLS. To know more, visit the official website of Office
How do I use Office 365 as an SMTP server?
Go to the Basic authentication section of your mail and then enter the login details of your Office 365 user account with which you want to associate the relay SMTP mail. Here, you need to select the TLS encryption. Further, enter the port number and select OK.
Does Office 365 SMTP require SSL?
No, the Office 365 SMTP doesn’t require an SSL because the SMTP client submission-only supports TLS and above encryption methods. In case you wish to use it to send emails, then you may configure IIS for relay with your Office 365.
How do I enable SMTP in Outlook 365?
To do so, open the admin center of Office 365 and go to the ‘Users’ section followed by ‘Active Users’. Select the user and then click ‘Mail’. Now, select ‘Manage email apps’ in the Email apps section and then verify the Authentication SMTP settings. Make certain that this setting is checked mark.